Novo-Gloss 60 Gloss Meter
- For UKAS calibration prices please call 0121 784 7498
- Delivery within 10 working days
+ £4.95 next day shipping
All GBP prices are exclusive of UK VAT (where applicable)
Novo-Gloss 60 degree glossmeter
The Novo-Gloss 60 degree gloss meter is suitable for measuring gloss in most applications from matt to high gloss finishes.
This high specification handheld glossmeter is suitable for use in many environments including laboratory and production areas and is the ideal choice for general gloss measurements of a variety of substrates and industry sectors including paints and coatings.
- Ultra-fast measurement time
- Time and date stamped results
- Automatic tile detection for faster calibration
- Full on-board statistics
- Graphical trend analysis of results for simple reporting.
- Easy Batching – User definable batch size and names for more efficient measurement of multiple samples
- Software-free data transfer of measurements and batches
- Direct data input via Bluetooth – transmit each measured reading directly into Microsoft Excel or other programs
- Pass / Fail for easy identification of non-conformances
- Auto-ranging, suitable for measuring matt to mirror finishes
- Compliant to major international standards such as ASTM D523, ISO 2813, ASTM D2457
- Calibrate to any standard (from low gloss to mirror finish)
The Ultimate Glossmeter
Gloss is an aspect of the visual perception of objects that is as important as colour when considering the psychological impact of products on a consumer.
It has been defined as ‘The attribute of surfaces that causes them to have shiny or lustrous, metallic appearance.’The gloss of a surface can be greatly influenced by a number of factors, for example the smoothness achieved during polishing, the amount and type of coating applied or the quality of the substrate.
Manufacturers design their products to have maximum appeal: highly reflective car body panels, gloss magazine covers or satin black designer furniture.
It is important therefore that gloss levels are achieved consistently on every product or across different batches of products.
Gloss can also be a measure of the quality of the surface, for instance a drop in the gloss of a coated surface may indicate problems with its cure, leading to other failures such as poor adhesion or lack of protection for the coated surface.
It is for these reasons that many manufacturing industries monitor the gloss of their products, from cars, printing and furniture to food, pharmaceuticals and consumer electronics.
Gloss is measured by shining a known amount of light at a surface and quantifying the reflectance. The angle of the light and the method by which the reflectance is measured are determined by surface and also aspect of the surface appearance to be measured.
Which Angle Should I Use For My Application?
ISO 2813 and ASTM D523 (the most commonly used standards) describe three measurement angles to measure gloss across all
Gloss is measured in gloss units (GU) and is traceable to reference standards held at BAM (Germany), NRC (Canada) or NPL (UK).
Universal Measurement Angle: 60?
All gloss levels can be measured using the standard glossmeter measurement angle of 60°
. This is used as the reference angle with the complimentary angles of 85° and 20°often used for low and high gloss levels respectively.
For improved resolution of low gloss a grazing angle of 85°is used to measure the surface. This angle is recommended for surfaces which measure less than 10GU when measured at 60° .
This angle also has a larger measurement spot which will average out differences in the gloss of textured or slightly uneven surfaces.
High Gloss: 20°
The acute measurement angle of 20° gives improved resolution for high gloss surfaces. Surfaces that measure 70GU and above at the standard angle of 60 are often measured with this glossmeter geometry.
The 20° angle is more sensitive to haze effects that affect the appearance of a surface.
To quantify haze, distinctness of image, reflected image quality and other surface texturing please consider the Rhopoint IQ.
Fast measurement of all parameters. Full on-board statistics with trend analysis and reporting.
Simultaneous measurement of all parameters, results are and time stamped.
Displays full statistics for the number of readings in the current batch.
Graphical reporting for quick trend analysis.
Pass / fail parameters can be defined for instant identification of non-conformances.
User definable batch names and batch sizes for quicker and more efficient reporting.
Rapid data transfer
Software-free data transferUSB connection to PC instantly recognises the device as a drive location which facilitates the quick transfer of files using Windows Explorer or similar.
Direct data input via Bluetooth
Instantly transmit measured readings directly to programs such as MS Excel on your PC / tablet / smartphone to greatly simplify the reporting process.
10,000+ readings per charge
The glossmeter is rechargeable via USB/PC or mains.
60° and 20/60/85° * versions available
|20°||Improved accuracy and resolution on high gloss & metallic samples (>70GU when measured at 60″)|
|60°||Universal angle ? all gloss levels|
|85°||Improved resolution for matt finishes (|
Reproducibility: 0.5GU (0-100GU), 0.5% (100-2000GU)
60° : 0-1000GU
ISO 2813, ISO 7668
ASTM D523, ASTM D2457
JIS 8741, JIS K 5600-4-7
- Full colour easy to read screen
- Adjustable brightness
- 6 button touch sensitive interface
- Integrated calibration holder with in-position detector for
error free calibration
- Single button push to measure all parameters
- Fast measurement
- Results batching with user definable names
- Max, min, mean, S.D.
- On board trend analysis
- Gloss values
- Rechargeable lithium ion
- 17+ hours operation
- 10,000+ readings per charge
- 8MB= >2000 readings
- User defineable alphanumeric batching
- PC compatible
- USB connection, no software install required
- 60° : 6mm x 12mm
- Operating Temperature: 15 – 40° C (60 – 104 F)
- Humidity: Up to 85%, non condensing
Dimensions & Weight
- 65mm x 140mm x 50mm (H x W x D)
- 60° = 390g
- Packed weight: 1.6kg
- Packed dimensions: 110mm x 280mm x 220mm (H x W x D)
- Commodity code: 9027 5000